While rides and games may cost a few dollars, there are still over 150 free things to do at the Florida State Fair with price of admission.
- Free Admission Day: The price of admission, normally $10 for adults and $5 for kids on weekdays, $12 for adults and $6 for kids on weekends, will be waived on Thursday, February 11th after 4:00 p.m.
- Experience Elvis: The Elvis Extravaganza Impersonator National Finals will be held on February 13th and 14th in the Sweetbay Entertainment Hall
- Go International: The World Village will hold a variety of multicultural experiences including Fiesta Gigante Day hosted by Univision on February 13th, and Telemundo’s Dance Extravaganza.
- Be Competitive: There will be a variety of competitions, including ballroom dancing, baton twirling, cheerleading, and a much advertised talent contest.
- Fireworks: Both Friday and Saturday nights (February 5th, 6th, 12th and 13th) will hold firework displays.
- Comic Book and Toy Convention Day: In the spirit of the fair’s theme this year, February 6th will host a comic book and toy convention day presented by Tampa Comic Con.
- Animal Acts, Shows & Exhibits: There will be everything from Circus Hollywood to the Florida State 4-H Dog Show, and Police Canine Demonstrations to Doggies of the West to Purebred Dog Shows, as well as the Frog Jumping Championships.
- Learn about Agriculture: You will be able to make your own butter, squeeze oranges, and milk a cow. Baby farm animals, llamas, poultry, rabbits, sheep and steers will be on display, and fairgoers will be able to learn about boating safety and the fish and wildlife conservation commission.
- Experience Cracker Country: Learn about and experience Florida’s history in Cracker Country. Activities include an 1898 school lesson in a one-room school, learning how soap was made in early rural Florida, printing your own post card, and tours of an early post office.
- See a Horse Show: There will be nine horse shows, competitions, demonstrations and exhibits, including a Draft Horse Show and a Mounted Drill Team Demonstration.
The Florida State Fair will also offer new attractions and foods this year.
This year’s Florida State Fair will include five new rides, The Family Fun Swing, the Tornado, Crazy Chopper, the Experience, and the Wheel Skywheel. The Crazy Chopper will include a helicopter ride featuring the original Batcopter from the Batman TV series. There will be a new area called the Family Friendly Midway which includes 13 rides, 2 games, 2 food stands, 1 novelty stand and 1 air brush tattoo stand.
New foods include deep fried butter (2 or three butter pats or balls wrapped in dough and deep fried), Over the Top Krispy Kreme Donut Burger (a fresh burger patty placed between 2 Krispy Kreme donuts), Bacon Lip Balm, and Jambalaya.
The Florida State Fair will take place February 4th through 15th at the Florida State Fairgrounds in Tampa. For more information, visit www.floridastatefair.com